FGCU Cheerleaders: They Deserve Their Credit

Normally, I write about all the sports teams like volleyball, basketball and swimming, and how much hard work and commitment they have to get the job done, but do you want to know who else I think works really hard to get the job done? The FGCU Cheerleaders.

Led by head coach Emily Chaikin with the help of assistant coaches, Joyce Prive and Caleb Houston, the cheerleaders at FGCU work hard nonstop to the end of the games they are involved in.

The ladies and gentlemen that are a part of the squad gather together every Monday and Wednesday night at 5:30 PM for practice and go over the cheers and movements they need to do and where each cheerleaders are set to be positioned in a certain areas for the cheers. They also recap what happens from the previous basketball games and volleyball matches.

Now when people think of cheerleaders, some automatically think that they're not athletes, but that's not really true because they are athletes. They sometimes do not get enough credit for what they do, but they work hard to the end for each game that happens at the Alico Arena as well as for events outside of FGCU.

When it comes to volleyball games, Chaikin separates the squad into two teams: Team A and Team B. Sometimes, I don't remember which team is which and it can be very confusing, but when basketball season is in tact, all the cheerleaders and junior baton twirler Talya Carness all cheer together. Sometimes for the basketball games, some cheerleaders are able to go home for a certain amount of days, depending whether the attendance is really lite or if it's fully packed.

Currently there are five seniors on the team: Patrick Natali, Brittany Borman, Zahra "Z" Fayad, Jessica Gorman and Ernest Dorman.

Out of all the cheerleaders that I have met this year, I'm pretty close with a few of the returners like Natali as well as juniors Caragan Phillips, Hayley Krizanovic and Evy Reynolds. I even got a chance to meet and get to know some of the newcomers like freshmen Melissa Mazurkiewicz and Sage Frankwitt, sophomore Paige Pitkin and junior Kelsey Allen. Those newcomers I'm actually close with.

One of the funniest things I remembered was when I was living in a previous dorm last year and found out that my previous RA had Gorman as a roommate and every time I ran into Gorman, I would say to her "Hey neighbor" like I do with all of the people in my building.

As I wrote about this, I had a few compliments from some of the cheerleaders:

Phillips: "Thank you Patrick for your loyalty and love for us. You are our favorite dirty bird and my best friend. Very thankful for your friendship. Love you💗"

Allen: "Thanks Patrick your the best!!! xoxo❤️❤️"

Mazurkiewicz: "I love this!!"

Pitkin: "This is amazing, thank you so much!"

Dorman: "Thank you so much Patrick!! You are the best!"

Borman: "Aww Patrick!! thank you"

To me, one of the best compliments came from Fayad: "This is the sweetest thing ever! Thank you for all the support you always give to us and every sport! I am to the point where I get worried when I do not see you at a game :/ I am so happy you see how much hard work and effort we put into our program for FGCU! We love this school and athletics so very much! I hope more people can realize everything you mentioned! Very well written and truthful, Patrick. Thank you so much! We love you!!!! <3"

Even Borman and Frankwitt shared this blog post.

I even got compliments from Molly Miceli, the mother of former FGCU cheerleader, Lindsey Miceli, and Katie Jones, another former FGCU cheerleader.

Miceli: "Love it Patrick!! You have always been such a big supporter of the cheerleaders! Lindsey and I both think highly of you and your loyalty to the team."

Jones: "You are awesome, Patrick!!!!"

I have had the utmost privilege to meet, talk and motivate them to keep working hard to finish through the games that they are involved in. I have a lot of respect for the cheerleaders and every time I run into one, no matter if it's at the games or on campus, I would always give them a lot of credit and say this: "If you can run, jump, flip or do any form of gymnast moves, then you are considered an athlete."

It feels like they never get enough credit and that sometimes can be hurtful, but to me, they deserve a lot of credit for trying to get the fans hype and keeping the spirit alive and I give them a lot of praise for doing so.

Below are photos with me and some of the cheerleaders after the games from last year:

With Jessica Gorman (left) and Hayley Krizanovic (right)

With former cheerleader Danielle Devito

With team captain Caragan Phillips

Back row from left to right: Braden Harsey, Brandon Roche and Evy Reynolds
Middle Row from left to right: Danielle Devito, Lindsey Miceli, Madison Moody and Alexis Rankin
Front row from left to right: Caragan Phillips, Makenzie Hanle, Zahra Fayad, Jamie Cohen and Ilyssa Alvarez
With Braden Harsey

With Talya Carness, Lindsey Kenney and Bailey Spenlau

With Carness, Kenney, Spenlau and Hanle

From left to right: Talya Carness, Lindsey Kenney, Bailey Spenlau, Makenzie Hanle, Brittany Borman and Jordan Paris

With Brittany Borman

With assistant coach Caleb Houston

No comments:

Featured Post

SCF VB Host Senior Showcase

Bradenton, Fla - Newly named head coach Courtney Bobo-McKenzie and the SCF volleyball team will host a one-day senior showcase on Saturday a...