Behind the Scenes with FGCU Cheerleading

In a previous blog post, I wrote about the FGCU cheerleading team and how they get very little, if not no credit for what they do to keep the spirit alive for not just our team, but for our student section and the fans that attend the game. I also mentioned that if they can run, jump, flip or all of the above, you are considered to be an athlete.

Today, I got an amazing opportunity to see the the cheerleading team from behind the scenes and watch them practice their choreography and formations for their upcoming games on the main court. It was amazing to see the many young ladies and gentleman on the team that gather together. Of course, if I'm not at the games, it's mainly because I'm at home for the holidays or if I have a class that goes on at the same time frame and I would most likely be late.

The team gathers together every Monday and Wednesday night and practice for two hours in two different areas. 

At first I was a little nervous going to the practice because I felt I would be breaking rules and I thought it was gonna be a private practice, but head coach Emily Chaikin and assistant coach Caleb Houston gave me special permission to enter which I was thankful to get the opportunity. In fact, they were happy I came. I did tell them that I was taking photos for the post and under Houston's watch, I got permission.

When the team saw me, they were happy to see me and were surprised that I came to watch. Of course, one of the cheerleaders would always worry why I wasn't in attendance at some of basketball games and probably we would lose a basketball game at home if I wasn't there.

As I watched the team practice, I was amazed and astounded of what went on outside of games and outside of their uniforms. They were working really hard to make sure they were not off tempo on the counts and that they were communicating properly so that there was no miscommunication on when they are suppose to be positioned. I even got to see the team do a new formation that they just started working down.

As I was continuing to watch practice and taking photos, the cheerleaders looked that they were having a good time and seemed to enjoy themselves with plenty of music to help them move.

From what I saw at the practice, I did not see just cheerleaders practicing for the upcoming games, but I saw a tremendous amount of talented young men and women that are working their butts off to get the job done as hard and as best as they can til the bitter end and when the game is over.

The FGCU cheerleaders will be in action on Saturday, January 27 in a doubleheader for basketball. It will also be also recognition for five seniors on the team before the games start: Zahra Fayad, Patrick Natali, Jessica Gorman, Ernest Dorman and Brittany Borman.

I enjoyed watching practice and I thank coach Chaikin and coach Houston for giving me the opportunity to watch the team practice and I thank the squad for keeping up the hard work

Below are a few photos of what went on during practice:

Junior Evy Reynolds hold Fayad in an elevated position as Natali, freshman Kaitlyn Oplinger and Dorman stand by to help
Coach Chaikin talking to the team for the upcoming games



Oplinger get lifted by junior Keth McCall Jr

Junior and team captain Caragan Phillips helps fellow junior Hayley Krizanovic work on her flips

Freshman Lynoshka Adorno being lifted by freshman Joseph Lopez

Natali lifting up sophomore Paige Pitkin

Chaikin discussing on the progress made as the team listens

No comments:

Featured Post

SCF VB Host Senior Showcase

Bradenton, Fla - Newly named head coach Courtney Bobo-McKenzie and the SCF volleyball team will host a one-day senior showcase on Saturday a...