Kahai-Enos Brings Aloha Spirit to Volleyball

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=10ORRa4sCWU14pu71jMnIxM1z-Jj9YIVcPC: SCFManatees.com

Last year, I did two feature stories on SCF volleyball, the first was now sophomore Leilani Wilcox-Nanai and then it followed with then sophomore Sydney Jaco. For 2021 and SCF volleyball, this feature story will talk about one of the newcomers that joined the squad this season, sophomore Kaysha Kahai-Enos. Kahai-Enos is a middle blocker that hails from Puna, Hawaii that joined the team with a plethora of experience, although her athletic journey did not start on the court.

“I grew up in a very athletic family,” said Kahai-Enos. “Before playing volleyball, I used to be a swimmer and very quickly I lost interest in it because it was the same thing all the time and I wasnʻt able to work with a team. I wanted to play a sport where it involved teammwork and not just doing something on my own because it seemed too boring for me.”

“I wanted to do volleyball because it seemed like a much more fun sport to do and I wanted to play in a sport with teammates. I would always play volleyball during recess at school with my friends and it was a good way to make new friends and have fun.”

After elementary school, Kahai-Enos’ journey with volleyball commenced for her career.

“Starting out middle school, my papa and aunty asked me if I wanted to play volleyball and my parents wanted me to do something active. My papa brought me to my first volleyball practice and every since then I never stopped playing volleyball.”

Although it was fun and competitive for her, Kahai-Enos did have a few moments where it was difficult for her, but ultimately found a way to ignore it.

“There were a few moments in life where I wanted to stop playing volleyball due to challenges that made me think I was losing interest and my passion for volleyball and that is a challenge I had to overcome,” said Kahai-Enos on her challenges. “Coming back to a new platform of volleyball, I refreshed my brain and looked at the bigger picture of the value and opportunities that volleyball has brought me and can continue to bring me. I had to find that passion and motivation again and I had so much hunger that I wanted to be the best version of myself in every aspect of life.”

“While becoming a market partner, there were many values and lessons that it has taught me that helped motivate me in volleyball and to be mentally tough and leave nothing behind because I had nothing to lose. During down time and any breaks that I had, I worked as hard as I can and pushed myself to improve on my skills, strength and my knowledge of the game so I could come back for the season strong. I had to make this a set back rather than a failure.”

Kahai-Enos would then continue to a higher level in high school and became a standout at Kamehameha High where she helped them to a star tournament for a fifth place her senior year which had a very favorite memory.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1HtARxJxUAK-WDJBkiKC_hVKhmpqldr7g
PC: pilipaa.com

“One of my favorite moments of my senior year in high school was competing in the Blaisdel arena, where all the big games are held, which I had never gotten to play in so it was very exciting,” said Kahai-Enos. “We were on our final last game and at the end, families and friends came to give us leis and congratulate us for an amazing season we had, having made it the farthest we have made it in years.”

“During that time I was very proud to be a part of this wonderful team and thankful for all the awesome coaching staff that we had and for helping us make it this far into our season. It was a bitter-sweet moment because we were all so happy that we made it far off into our season and brought our team a long way, but we were sad that the season had come to an end, for everyone on the team were so closely bonded like a family and we made so much memories with each other. 

After high school, Kahai-Enos received a few offers to play collegiate volleyball from colleges like Midland College in Texas and Western Nebraska Community College. Eventually, she chose to enroll at Lee College in Baytown, Texas. Upon her arrival at Lee College, the culture shock of being away from home hit.

“When I arrived at Lee College, I felt very far away from home by myself and an overall culture shock,” said Kahai-Enos. “I felt excited to get to know my teammates and for the season to get started so it was very bitter-sweet. 

Kahai-Enos did not see much action with Lee College as she only played in five matches. Then when COVID-19 hit, things changed for the college as they decided to suspend the athletics program for the 2020-21 year.

After finding out about it, Kahai-Enos entered the transfer portal and joined SCF to play volleyball and continue her academic career there.

“Amongst many other colleges that gave me opportunities as well, I choose SCF because it is close to the ocean which I love and I have a family here that I know I can call on that always takes care of me,” said Kahai-Enos on choosing SCF.

When she first arrived to Bradenton, the first ones to greet her in Florida were head coach Coach Lynn Burnette and former Manatee volleyball player Barbora Tichackova as well as her family, who were living in Florida as well.

Upon her enrollment at SCF, Kahai-Enos said that she felt at peace and was happy about the transition.

“I knew I was exactly where I needed to be and in my own environment,” said Kahai-Enos. “I felt like I had nothing to worry about and that everything was going to work out just fine. I knew that I had the right people around me in case I ever needed help with anything.”
She was even excited to meet her new teammates.

“When I met my new teammates, I first felt so excited to meet every one of them because I have lots of new teammates and some from different places from around the world. I knew that we would become a close family and have lots of fun together throughout school and volleyball.”

While she loves volleyball, Kahai-Enos does enjoy doing things outside of volleyball.

“When I donʻt play volleyball, I like to go to the beach, spend time with families and friends, play ukulele, sing with family, dance hula and go camping,” said Kahai-Enos. 

Kahai-Enos is no stranger to enjoying memories at SCF 

“One memory that I enjoyed while being at SCF is waking up every morning being so happy and thankful that I am in such a wonderful place, surrounded with amazing teammates, a very nice and coach, and excited for playing at the beach on our ride there.”

While the season still is in session for SCF, Kahai-Enos plans to continue her with collegiate volleyball while seeking a career in community leadership. She hopes to do so while transferring to a university and being the best version of herself as a player and as an individual.

No comments:

Featured Post

SCF VB Host Senior Showcase

Bradenton, Fla - Newly named head coach Courtney Bobo-McKenzie and the SCF volleyball team will host a one-day senior showcase on Saturday a...