Why the "W" Flag at FGCU?

One question that always come to mind from people is "What's the "W" stand for and why do you wave it at every athletic event at FGCU?" The answer is this: The "W" on the flag stands for "Win" and usually when you see a flag like that, one team comes to mind: the Chicago Cubs.

Ever since I watched the Cubs win the 2016 World Series, FGCU sports changed within a heartbeat. I first had the flag in early January of the spring semester. It was a late Christmas present from my former roommate being is I am a born breed Chicago boy. I loved it.

The first time I waved it, it was at one of the men's basketball game for FGCU and we were victorious. Since that time, I waved at every basketball game, baseball game, tennis match, swim meet and softball game I have attended. After the spring semester, I started bringing it to volleyball and soccer games and everyone loved it including the athletes and fans.

Sometimes I ask the athletes afterwards if I can get a photo with them with the flag and of course they would say yes.

I remember one time one of the men's basketball players, Dolan Mahoney, took a picture with my flag, but couldn't touch it because he's a Pittsburgh Pirates fan. It was cool though and I didn't mind.

Even going back and forth between doing my internship and being a fan of the games was tough, it was well worth it.

Below are pics of me with the athletes and my "W" flag:

With Amanda Carroll






With the entire volleyball team










From left to right: Dylan Sacramento, Robert Ferrer, Miguel Jaime and Albert Ruiz






With Petra Smetkova and Meghan Mulligan




With Varin Ness





With Dennis Zapata




With Jaime and Gustavo Vasconcelos



With Preston Kilwien


With Shak Adams and Enzo Riley







With Miguel Perez


With Ashley Parks, Ma Boilesen, Nikki Hudson and Lauren Greene

With Shay Jackson

With Cassidy Morgan Kavina Ganesha and Lauren Moss






With Natalie Schaps


With Holly Fritz



With Hope Van Wagner






































































No comments:

Featured Post

Bobo-McKenzie Named Head VB Coach

Bradenton, Fla - Following Lynn Burnett's departure to run the indoor and beach volleyball program at New College of Florida and an exte...