SCF Softball Sweeps Webber in the Final Scrimmage

 Bradenton, Fla - The SCF softball team had a strong outing in their final scrimmage before the season starts as they swept Webber International University at home by scores of 7-1 and 7-2.

"Overall, we had great energy," said head coach Mandy Schuerman. "It took us too long to adjust our hitting in the first game and need to button up routine mistake, but overall good team wins with many contributors."

"The team's overall performance was commendable," said freshman Chantel Schurr. "I believe that we all had each other's backs whether it came to tiny mistakes or even congratulating each other on good plays or hits."

"We started off rusty at first, but once we started a rally we were unstoppable," said freshman Gabi Nicholson. "We overall played a great game together."

"There was no doubt that I think everyone had first game jitters," said sophomore Remi Hebert. "After the third inning, I think everyone got them out of the way and finally relaxed when we played. The team's offense and defense today was really good and everyone was making good contact." 

Game one saw the Manatees finally wake their bats up in the bottom of the fourth after a two-run shot by Nicholson and 2-for-3 two-double game for Schurr.

"I just relaxed and really had fun at the plate and on the field," said Nicholson on her game. "I appreciate my coaches for allowing me to push to go to the next level."

"In all honesty, I believe I had some good at-bat performances," said Schurr on her game. "Instead of thinking and becoming overwhelmed, I simply played the game. As you can see, the bat finds the ball when you simply relax, and it's been a long time since I've just let go of my stress. It was great to fall in love with the simple joys of having fun."

Hebert would get the win after a three-hit complete game with seven strikeouts.

"On the mound today, my catcher (Presley O'Kimosh) was working really hard behind the plate for me and did a great job," said Herbert on her game. "The team's offense and defense made me pitch really relaxed and I knew they had my back. It's a great feeling when you're on the mound and you know your team is working behind you and has your back."

Game two came in clutch on the mound as sophomore Samantha Hampton would get the win, while classmate Gracie Mullett got the save. Schurr and Nicholson also had some big hit games as well as freshman Liv Siebert on the base paths.

"We really just came together as a team and started to have each others back," said Nicholson. "Even if one of us just struck out, then the next at-bat would help our teammates pick us up and that's what makes us true teammates with true teamwork."

"I believe that one of the turning points was our ability to string hits together," said Schurr. "In the hitting element of the game, I believe everyone did their job. Our defense could have been a little better tonight, but I believe we made up for our mistakes supported one another."

"The pitchers did a good job attacking the strike zone today," said Schuerman on her pitchers. "Our defense made mistakes, but were able to overcome them. I expect Remi, Sam and Gracie to be leaders on in the circle."

"I believe good things happen at the plate when you make pitch to pitch adjustments," said Schuerman on her batters.


Up Next:

The Manatees will officially open the season with the three-day Adidas JUCO Kickoff Classic in Clearwater. They will play two of the three days as they will open with Georgia Military (@3 pm) and Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College (@5 pm) on day one before facing St. John's River State (@4 pm) and Seminole State College (@6:30 pm) on day two.


*Side Note: This was the first interviews I did with Schuerman, Hebert, Nicholson and Schurr this season and the official first for Nicholson and Schurr for their SCF debuts.

No comments:

Featured Post

Bobo-McKenzie Named Head VB Coach

Bradenton, Fla - Following Lynn Burnett's departure to run the indoor and beach volleyball program at New College of Florida and an exte...