SCF VB Takes Scrimmage Over Webber JV


Bradenton, Fla - The SCF volleyball team (4-7, 0-2 Sun Lakes South) recovered nicely in their scrimmage against the Webber International University JV as the Manatees swept the Warriors 3-0 (26-24, 25-16, 25-14) at Hal Chasey Gymnasium.

"I was very proud of the consistency that the girls had today to work on," said head coach Lynn Burnett. "It was super fun to watch Caelen (Cook) flip back over to middle blocker and just have such versatility to do really well. Haylee (Rhoads) is always lights out and plays a phenomenal libero and her serve is ridiculous, she goes back to defend, digs and sets everything. Kendall (Steinert) was able to pull out on sets from all over the place, which was incredible."

"I think we did pretty good overall," said sophomore Amee Beedle. "I thought the energy stayed up for all three sets, which is always exciting because we always get drained. I thought we were pretty aggressive on our offense and were very scrappy on defense while putting in 100% of our effort and going for everything which was fun."

"I think the team did really good working together," said freshman Kloe Pinto. "I felt like we did a good job covering and keeping each other intense with great energy and we did a good job cleaning up mistakes we had, so it was a good job overall."

"The team did great," said freshman Emily Lyons. "We played together as one. While we didn't have quite good passing as we wanted, we worked together and were like a family. You could feel the energy off the bench, even with some of the players not playing but hyping us up and cheering us on while we got a good rally going and we definitely felt the energy through us to help us get the win."

"Overall, I think we did really good," said freshman Kendall Steinert. "Our defense was on point, our servicing was really good and our offense, even though we didn't have most of our regular players with us, they did really well. I thought Kloe (Pinto) stepped up for the outside and right side, Caelen (Cook) has always been good when she steps up to the middle and I thought we improved on our covering too."

The first set was a tough one for the Manatees, but after a few adjustments in the last two points and a Warrior attack error, they took the first before breezing through the second and third sets with ease for the win.

Freshman Haylee Rhoads lead the Manatees offensively and through her serves as she finished with 11 kill, five aces and three digs. Beedle would follow with seven kills and nine digs, while Lyons rounded out the order with six kills, 11 digs, two assists and two aces.

"The connection was a little rocky, but I finished strong in the end," said Lyons on her game. "You could definitely feel where the ball was coming, when you put it down, when to get a kill. I could feel the team hyping me up with the energy and love from them, even when I got a block. Every moment made it more impactful and big that we were all doing it together as one."

"Of course it was the first time Emily (Lyons) got to play her first home game," said Burnett on Lyons. "While she didn't get to play over this past weekend, it was good for her to play both sides and both pins and we definitely think that when she gets the experience under her belt, she will be a force to reckon with. She also has a good block and it was nice to see that."

Steinert would lead the way with a double-double of 29 assists, 14 digs, four aces, one block and three kills.

"I thought I played good defense," said Steinert on her game.

Defensively, sophomore Lison Stoffel had eight digs and two aces, while Pinto had three digs, one assist and four kills.

"I thought I did ok," said Pinto on her game. "I think I did a good job with my serves and keeping them in every time and finding where the holes were in tipping in certain areas."

Freshmen Caelen Cook (four kills and two blocks), Bella Rebimbas (seven digs and one assist) and Rachel Carroll (four digs) also contributed in the match.

Notes:
It was announced that Steinert was named the FCSAA DII Setter of the week after her outing from this past weekend.

"I'm grateful," said Steinert on winning the accolade. "I'm grateful for Coach Lynn and everyone here for their support. It was such a great opportunity for me."

"That was huge," said Burnett on Steinert winning the accolade. "I'm watching the stats and seeing her consistently putting up numbers that are the top in the state and she did it in a week where we played two out of three teams that were ranked in the nation (#12 HCC (DI), #18 Gulf Coast State (DII)) and she definitely earned that 100%. Her assists in and of themselves, if it was just that stat, would be strong enough to get her through that, but her aces, digs and hitting percentage is some of the highest in our conference so far. She's amazing."

Beedle was able to play due to the match being a scrimmage. She is ineligible to play during the season and has chosen to redshirt to work on academics, however, she will be eligible to play beach volleyball during the 2023 season.

"I thought I did ok out on the court," said Beedle on playing for the first time. "I put everything I had out there since this is one of the only few matches I'm able to play this year, but it was really exciting to be back with my team and adjust with them because we are like family. Yes, I'm upset that I can't play this season, but I'm glad I get to be a part of the team and the scrimmages."

"It actually felt good to have Amee back with us and I missed her so much," said Pinto on Beedle playing. "She played amazing as always and it was really good having her by my side."

"I played with Amee over the summer and I told everyone that she is one for us," said Lyons on Beedle playing. "She's the one that holds everything together. Amee is such a strong, dominant player on the court and you can definitely feel her presence out there and it's definitely fun to have her out there. We miss her with us."

"I felt I could always trust Amee," said Steinert on Beedle playing. "She's such a good well-rounded player and I could always trust her to try and get it over or up. When her see her run, she always runs for the ball."

"That was fun," said Burnett on Beedle playing. "We were definitely happy to have her jumping back in while having to pause and take a moment to work things out personally, which I think she's doing a good job of that. We were definitely happy to see her be able to show off what she's capable of with her serves, attacks, passing and defense. She's the whole package."

Burnette chose to rest sophomores Lana Sandanom and Shelby McGee and freshmen Bailey Perry and Shelby Pillow.

Up Next:
The Manatees will be back in action at home Friday, September 9 as they welcome #17 St. John's River State (7-3, 2-0 Sun Lakes North) and Morton College (6-6, 20 ISC) at 2 and 6 pm.

No comments:

Featured Post

Bobo-McKenzie Named Head VB Coach

Bradenton, Fla - Following Lynn Burnett's departure to run the indoor and beach volleyball program at New College of Florida and an exte...