SCF Tennis Close Season with Win Over Warner


Bradenton, Fla - The #6 SCF tennis team (7-4, 2-4 Region 8) wrapped up the regular season at home as they shutout NAIA Warner University (2-12, 0-5 Sun) 9-0 at the SCF Tennis Complex.


"Today was awesome,"  said head coach Chloe Murphy. "It was fun to celebrate the sophomore before the match where we decorated the courts and give them gifts. It's been a special group where we have been through the ups and downs from the shortened COVID year to going to nationals last year and they come out and perform this year, which was the icing on the cake."


Beginning with doubles, the duo of sophomore Lou De Freitas Bonet and Sakurako Suzuki defeated the freshman duo of Riley Cook and Alizee Piette 8-1 at #3 doubles. After the sophomore duo of #17 Sarah Forsyth and Luna Mouton defeated sophomore Karen Alves and freshman Carla Schneider 8-1 at #3 doubles, the sophomore duo of #4 Kia Carvalho-Landell and Carlota Gascon Martinez defeated senior Danieris Santiago and freshman Camila Matos 8-3 at #1 doubles for a 3-0 SCF lead. 

"I'm happy with my match with Sarah, which was better than yesterday," said Mouton. "We knew it was the last one at home and we just tried to enjoy it and do our best to win and I'm happy that we win."


As singles play commenced, the Manatees only needed two to win the entire matchup and end on a good note. Freshman Jessica Bustamante would defeat Alves 6-0, 6-1 at #6 singles before Suzuki landed the dagger against Schneider with a 6-0 pair decision at #5 singles. Bustamante would move up to 5-6 while Suzuki moved to 8-4.

Singles play continued for the remaining matches as Carvalho-Landell would defeat Cook with a 6-1 pair decision at #3 singles.

"The girl (Cook) was very strong and aggressive with her backhand," said Carvalho-Landel on her match. "One of things I had to do in the first set was keep the ball in the court and have her make mistakes. In the second set, we fought hard and I just waited for her to make the mistake. I'm just so happy that I won my match."

Following that, De Freitas would defeat Santiago 6-4, 6-1 at #2 singles.

"I thought I did ok," said De Freitas Bonet. "The first set was hard with my serving and a lot of my returns were out, but I found the solution in myself when I was down 4-3 and it was my serve and I just hit four in a row and I thought I should change something and it worked to help me win my last home match."

Forsyth would then defeat Piette 6-0, 6-1 at #5 singles before Gascon Martinez, who was forced to a third set, completed the sweep by defeating Matos 6-2, 7-5, 10-1 at #1 singles.

"I think we played well compared to our last match," said Forsyth. "We had a lot more energy and we came together as a team. We played well together knowing that it was our last match of the season. At the end of Carly's match, we supported her."

"I felt so supportive with my team by my side," said Gascon Martinez. "Obviously when I won the first set it was easy, but during the second set, I complicated myself in the second set and not play the same, which was worse but at the end of the day, I won my last home match of the season."


Notes:
The matchup for the Manatees was dubbed as 'sophomore day' for the five sophomores: De Freitas Bonet, Forsyth, Mouton, Carvalho-Landell and Gascon Martinez.

"They performed well in both singles and doubles," said Murphy on her sophomore day. "Courts two and three got the job quick while court one had to fight off being down 3-0 and won eight games. Most of the matches were pretty routine with the exception match one and Carly did a good job recomposing herself and finishing strong in the third set, so I couldn't be happier, especially being the last home match for the sophomores."


Region 8 Standings*:
1. #2 HCC (9-1, 6-0)^
2. #3 SPC (7-4, 4-2)
3. #6 SCF (7-4, 2-4)
4. EFSC (2-7, 0-6)

*The standings are a guess and are unofficial.
^Region 8 Regular Season Champions


Up Next:
The Manatees will play in one final scrimmage as they travel to Palm Beach to take on Palm Beach Atlantic (6-10, 1-7 SSC) Saturday afternoon, April 9 at 2 pm at the Mitch Gornto Tennis Center. Following the scrimmage, the Manatees will travel to Altamonte Springs for the FCSAA Region 8 Tournament at SanLando Park April 14-16.

No comments:

Featured Post

Bobo-McKenzie Named Head VB Coach

Bradenton, Fla - Following Lynn Burnett's departure to run the indoor and beach volleyball program at New College of Florida and an exte...