SCF VB Takes Tough Loss vs EFSC

 Bradenton, Fla - The SCF volleyball team (0-5, 0-4 Suncoast) suffered another tough loss at home as they fell to Eastern Florida State (3-4, 1-4 Suncoast) 3-1 (26-24, 13-25, 23-25, 12-25). With the loss, the Manatees are now 6-3 against the Titans (2012-present).

"We had definite setbacks coming into this match," said head coach Lynn Burnett. "Missing our starting outside with Lana (Sandanom) and a couple of nagging injuries, primarily with Anllel, which wrecked the mentality of the team, so this is a team that is learning how to play through adversity and bonds together. There are some days they do a better job than others, but overall it's in the times of adversity that you grow deep roots. It's not in the happy times, but when times are tough that you grow in roots."

"We did really good, but there was a lot of points in the game where we needed to pick up our energy, which was too low," said freshman Taryn Wright. "The energy is one of the things that we need to work on the most and our mental mindset of things."

"Overall, I thought we played really well in the first set," said sophomore Kaylee Forman. However in the final three, we gave them really big runs and leads. I thought we served pretty aggressively, but we missed some key serves that hurt us and then the fire and energy just wasn't there afterwards." 

It was sophomore Jazmin Spencer that would lead the Manatees offensively as she finished with a double-double of 14 kills and 10 digs. Spencer also added an ace and five blocks.

Freshman Anllel Caballero Fernandez was one dig shy of a double-double as she finished with 10 kills, nine digs, two aces and five block before pulling out during the fourth set due to an ankle injury. 

Forman finished the match with 24 assists, six digs, a kill and four blocks.

"I kind of had an off-day today," said Forman on her game. "My serving was off, but I thought I distributed the ball pretty well. I just need to work on my serving and defense a little more."

Defensively, it was sophomores Adelene Jideofor, Kaysha Kahai-Enos and Giulia Rodrigues that lead the path. Jideofor had a career-high 13 blocks (two solo) to go along with three kills and a dig. Kahai-Enos had a career-high match of her own as she had seven blocks (one solo) to go along with two kills and a dig, while Rodrigues finished with a season-high 18 digs to go along with four assists.

Wright, who played in her first home match of the season, had the best serving game as she ended with two aces and a dig.

"I felt really good out there," said Wright on her first home match played. "I got put into a different position from left back, even though I am a middle back. At first, I went to the wrong spot, but I fixed it after that. After that, I felt good adjusting to the new position I played in. My nerves were more under control and I wasn't as nervous. I knew I had to calm myself down and not let my nerves get the best of me and let me mess up."

"She (Wright) played in her first match and there were some nerves there, but I was so proud of her tonight," said Burnett on Wright. "She was able to control the adrenaline and nerves, take deep breaths and really just step back to that serving line and executed well on defense with some great sets. Overall, I couldn't be more happier of her performance and many more to come for her."

Sophomores Jadyn Wallen (three kills, one assist, six digs and two blocks), Jennifer Rivera (two digs and one assist), Lison Stoffel (four assists and four digs) and Faith Blaise (two kills, one dig and two blocks) and freshman Shelby McGee (one kill) also contributed in the match.

For the Titans, Giselle Giraud lead the way with 18 kills, while Fabiola Rivera had a double-double of 13 kils and 14 digs.

The first set was a back-and-forth battle as the Titans took a 23-20 lead, but after a few adjustments, the Manatees were able to secure the first set. The second set, however, proved to be the predominant for the Titans as they took with thanks to three straight aces by Rylie Patrick.

After a back-and-forth third set in the Titans favor, they were able to seal the deal from two kills by Giraud.

Notes:

The Manatees were without freshman Lana Sandanom due to illness.


Up Next:

The Manatees head on the road as they travel to Miami to take on #5 Miami Dade College (4-2, 3-2 Suncoast) Thursday night, September 16 at 6 pm.

No comments:

Featured Post

Bobo-McKenzie Named Head VB Coach

Bradenton, Fla - Following Lynn Burnett's departure to run the indoor and beach volleyball program at New College of Florida and an exte...